DECEMBER 2006 – Lighthouse with State House in Swakopmund, Namibia, on a clear summer day. © Mark Zanzig/zanzig.com
The story behind the image
The beautiful Swakopmund Lighthouse dominates the town’s skyline from the seaside. It was built in 1902 and raised in height (to 111 ft, 34 meters) already in 1910. As of 2006, it was still being used as active aid to navigation. This view of the lighthouse in Swakopmund shows the State House in the front. The State House used to be called the “Kaiserliches Bezirksgericht”, which is the German name for the local court.
In case you didn’t know, Namibia has a strong German history which is the reason for a certain German touch in many areas of Nambia. Many streets still carry german names, and German is still widely used in daily life. In Windhoek, for example, there still is a German daily newspaper (the Allgemeine Zeitung) that serves the 15,000 Namibians who have been raised with German as their mother tongue.
The high resolution image
|Capture Date & Time||03-DEC-2006, 11:33|
|Camera||Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II|
|Lens||Canon EF 24-70 mm 2.8 L USM|
|Exposure||1/200 sec at f/22|
|Digital Image Source Format||JPEG, 24 bits/pixel, AdobeRGB|
|Edited Image Format||JPEG, 24 bits/pixel, sRGB|
|Edited Image Dimensions||4992 x 3328 Pixels|
|Copyright||© by Mark Zanzig/zanzig.com|